I have six amazing, old maps of London that can be printed at sizes up to 10 meters wide (33 feet). They can be customised to fit your space, or to focus on a particular part of London - I can make the maps wider, narrower, taller, shorter.
If you wish to see the maps in more detail, please scroll down and find links to individual product pages. You can see very high resolution maps that you can zoom and move around.
Every map has been lovingly restored from the original antique map. Every map will be handmade and printed at super high resolution to your exact requirements. If you're not happy with your map, which I think is very unlikely, you can return it for a full no-quibble refund.
These large maps would be perfect for hotels, offices, pubs, bars or other hospitality spaces - but if you have a large space at home, then they would look amazing there as well!
Please get in touch with me before you order so that we can discuss what you're looking for and make sure that the map you buy will look perfect.
I can also frame your map, and deliver it via special courier service. Just get in touch and I'll send you a quote, usually within a few hours.
There are six old masterpiece maps of London for you to choose from:
- John Rocque's map of London, Westminster and Southwark, 1746. This is the original (and probably best) map of old London. It was originally printed in 24 sheets and was 4 meters wide. I can recreate the whole map for you - or if you only have a square space, we could create a customised version that would fit perfectly.
- Charles Booth's Maps of London Poverty, 1898-99. Originally printed in 12 sheets, this is one of the most unusual and fascinating maps of London or indeed any city in the world. Not only is it an incredibly detailed map of a huge part of central and outer London, but Booth surveyed the wealth of every house and street of London. You can see which parts of London were upper class, middle class or even 'semi criminal' back in Victorian London. Learn more about this map and see detailed close-up images.
- C&J Greenwood's map of London, 1830. This is the finest old, colour map of London. Originally printed in 6 sheets, this is probably the prettiest of the three maps. The parks are green, the Thames is blue. A few more famous landmarks have been built by 1830, too.
- John Rocque's map of London and 10 miles around, 1745. This is the other major map that John Rocque produced of London. There's less detail, but the map extends all the way out to most of London's suburbs, including Hackney, Wimbledon, Highgate and Richmond. It's a beautiful map that shows London when much of the area was still fields and forests. Learn more about this map and see some close-up images.
- Edward Stanford's library map of London and its suburbs, 1862. This is the most detailed map of London and its suburbs from the 1800s. Originally published in 24 sheets, there's an incredible amount of detail in this map - almost every individual building in London is rendered. This map shows London at the peak of the British Empire - but when most of its suburbs are still just fields. This map is perfect for zoomed in, customised maps of London if you are looking for a personalised map that focuses on a specific area. I can also print this map at huge sizes - up to 10 meters (33 feet) wide. I recommend you look at the specific listing for this map so that you can grasp the level of detail in this map.
- William Faden's map of London and 25 miles around, 1790. This map, in stark contrast to Rocque's map of London's suburbs, has a lot more colour and character. Zooming in, you'll see a lot more going on - it's the kind of map you could spend hours poring over, looking for old town names, forests that you ran around as a kid, etc. This map looks great at sizes up to 3m (10ft). See the separate listing for this map if you want to see more close-up photos of the map.
If you are not happy with your unique map for any reason, contact me for a no-quibble refund.
I am very confident you will like your old map. I have been doing this since 1984 and I'm a 5-star Etsy seller with 1000s of sales and reviews.
This is the cheapest place to buy my maps online.
I use a unique process to restore my maps that is massively time consuming and labour intensive. Hunting down the original maps can take months. I use state of the art and eye-wateringly expensive technology to scan and restore the maps. As a result, I guarantee my maps are a cut above the rest - that's why I can offer a no-quibble refund.
Almost all of my maps look amazing at large sizes (200cm, 6.5ft+) and I can frame and deliver them to you as well, via special oversized courier. Contact me to discuss your specific needs.
All of my maps are well packaged and sent in a rugged tube if unframed, or surrounded by foam if framed.
I try to send out all maps within 1 or 2 days of receiving your order, though some products (like face masks or mugs) can take longer to make.
Please note that framed maps larger than 100cm/40 inches take longer to make and delivery is usually within 10 working days. I will get in touch with you to discuss the specifics of delivery.
If you select the free worldwide shipping option, you can usually expect to receive your map around 5 working days after you order.
Coronavirus is still causing random delays and some maps can take longer to arrive. If you need your map to arrive in time for an important date, please contact me before you order and I'll do my best to get the map to you on time.
If you select Express Delivery at checkout your order will be sent by courier (Fedex, DHL, UPS, Parcelforce) and will usually arrive in 2-3 working days. Please note that framed maps will usually take a little longer.
Customers in the US, Australia and Canada: Your map will be sent from a printer or framer in your country, which means you'll get your map sooner, you won't pay import duties, and we'll put less CO2 into the atmosphere. I have worked with some great printers and framers around the world for years - so don't worry, your map will still look amazing!
If you want a frame that's a specific colour or material, or want your map mounted/matted, please get in touch. I work with specialist framers around the world and have hundreds of framing options - so we should be able to find a frame that suits your decor/aesthetic.
My standard frame is a black wood frame. It is simple and quite modern looking. On maps up to 36 inches (91cm) the frame is 2cm (0.75in) wide. I use thicker frames on larger maps - usually between 35 and 60mm (1.4in to 2.4in).
In all cases I use super-clear museum-grade acrylic (perspex/acrylite) for the frame glass. It's lighter and safer than glass - and it looks better, as the reflectivity is lower.
All frames are provided "ready to hang", with either a string or brackets on the back. Very large frames will have heavy duty hanging plates and/or a mounting baton. If you have any questions... always get in touch!
My maps are extremely high quality reproductions of original maps.
I source original, extremely rare maps from libraries, auction houses and private collections around the world, restore them at my London workshop, and then use specialist giclée inks and printers to create beautiful maps that look even better than the original.
My maps are printed on acid-free archival matte (not glossy) paper that feels very high quality and almost like card. In technical terms the paper weight/thickness is 10mil/190gsm. It's perfect for framing.
I print with Epson ultrachrome giclée UV fade resistant pigment inks - some of the best inks you can find.
Please contact me if you're looking for a print on canvas or cotton rag.
Learn more about how the Unique Maps Co. sources and restores old maps
If you want to make your old map really unique, I am able to personalise your map with a short message, for example:
- "Happy birthday, Ben! From Mum & Dad"
- "To My Beloved. Let's Explore The World Together!"
This message will be added to the map in such a way that it looks just like a real part of the map.
Select the "Personalise Map" option above if you'd like to add map personalisation to your map.